2.04.2009

Fail Log -- Film Archetypes

I had the idea of combining the film commentaries (earlier post) with some thoughts I had had on film archetypes. My hypothesis was that there are cognitive constructs to the way we perceive and produce film. I was going to take snippets from choice films and talk over them. Then I thought, who is going to believe that these things hold, when the directors, films, and times of production are so different (e.g. what does Hitchcock have to do with Hal Hartley)? I think there is a basis for this type of analysis in Deleuze's work where he separates distinctly what he calls the "organic" from the "crystalline" and later in Anti-Oedipus and 1000 Plateaus, he talks about differing national styles of art, differing tempos and so forth, prefiguring this type of analysis. The closest analogy I could come up with for this is a Myers-Briggs of film (which in itself was generated based on a reading of Jung, who would probably agree with some of this semimotic analysis) .

No comments: