6.22.2008

Up the Down Escalator

Ship's log stardate 6-21-08:
"How're you doing" is the most popular refrain I know.
Orchestra Baobab is on the in-store play.
Quiet night, hail earlier, few customers in the evening. Those that are looking are single men in their 20's and 30's. Who do they go home to? Each other, I suppose. ____ always running up on me at the wrong time, I have to be more careful, almost got caught there. Not that she would care, she manages a ____ in her off hours and doesn't seem to smell danger so everyone plays it by the books here. ____ has the intoxicating scent of soap on him today. How he gets it so strong I don't know. Soap cologne, perhaps. "I held you by the hand that held your frappacino." Ah, Saturday milling, little babies in turned up caps, soon to slurp on their frappacinos under grandma sweaters, poking at their acne and touching their hipster boyfriend's greasy hair. "I could tell from the sound of her flip flops padding behind me that it was going to be a very good summer." It smells faintly of recycled air tonite.

No comments: