10.07.2010

On Transportation

It really pisses me off that the quickest way with the least number of hills from my house to Downtown Durham includes two miles of four lane road with no dedicated bike lane. As a result, I am competing for space with cars going 40 miles per hour. I'm athletic, and somewhat fearless on my bike, so this is not a big problem, but what angers me is to think that so few people in Durham commute by bike simply for the lack of fast, safe roadway. If one has to create a bike route that includes 10 90-degree angle turns over three miles and results in a ride that is 10-15 minutes slower than the fastest (and most dangerous) route, what is stopping a person from getting right back in the car the next day and parking in their usual spot, especially if weather conditions are less than appealing?

No comments: